Wednesday, September 9, 2015

On 5:15 PM by By Amy K in , , , , , , , , , ,    1 comment

One sunshiny Monday morning; I was in a rush to get to a team meeting.  It was one I was particularly excited about, because I was the leading the discussion.  I even had a white board!  I thought I was super cool and totally going to impress.  Just as I was about to leave, I had the thought to grab a dry erase marker.  I immediately ignored it, there was going to be one where I was going.

When I arrived, I promptly asked if I could borrow a dry erase marker for the discussion.  YUP, you guessed it... there was no dry erase marker to be found.  Not having what seemed to be a meaningless object, changed the whole dynamic of the meeting.  It was not as productive as it could have been.

I was embarrassed...

The whole meeting I could not help but wish I just grabbed a marker.  It made me even more upset knowing that I had thought to grab one, and simply did not listen!  Why did I ignored it?  There was no reason to, and the thought was so clear in my mind.

From that day I realized I was not really wondering why I ignored the thought, I was wondering why the thought so distinct?  Sure, the marker would have been more helpful, but it honestly did not affect my life.

IT WAS JUST A DUMB PEN!



That is the answer, though, it is a dumb pen!

A pen is something my brain knows, understands, I can even touch it.  So, when the little voice inside my head was telling me to grab one I could hear it.  Without even thinking I could comprehend the idea of needing the pen.  I just chose to disregard grabbing one, not because I did not need one, because I truly thought there would be one available to me.

It is when the little voice inside your head is trying to tell you something more obscure, it becomes harder to hear.  Your other thoughts muffle it because the brain does not understand why it should do that, everything else seems more important, and more likely it is afraid... afraid of the unknown.

It is those thoughts, however, that will have an affect on your life... maybe even affect the life of someone else.  It is those thoughts that we are often afraid of that are the answers to questions we have been asking.  It is those thoughts that are so important that you really have to listen for them.  If you are not listening you will not hear anything, and the less you hear the less the little voice inside your head will try to tell you.

Take some time and listen!



1 comment: